The Don Bosco Alumni Irinjalakuda Unit is part of the World Federation of the Alumni of Don Bosco, with its headquarters in Rome, Italy.
It was on 23rd June 1870, that Charles Gastini and two of his friends, all past pupils, came to meet their beloved Rector, Fr. John Bosco, and presented him gifts. This was a small token of love and gratitude for the happy days they had spent in one of the first Don Bosco institutions in Italy.
That historical meeting was repeated every year for sixteen successive years during the life of Don Bosco, with an ever increasing number of Past Pupils, and Don Bosco always, appreciated this very significant gesture.
When Don Bosco died, Charles Gastini told Fr. Rua, his successor, "unable to build a monument worthy of the memory of Don Bosco, we decided to form a Federation and we wish to be a living monument dedicated to the memory of Don Bosco.
Today, Don Bosco lives in his numerous disciples all over the world, especially through his close followers, called the
Salesians and the Daughters of Mary Help of Christians.
His memory is also kept particularly alive through those who have come under the influence of the Salesians. Thus
there is a World Federation, a Provincial Federation, and a local unit of the past pupils.
The Students of Don Bosco School are urged to support this association and are encouraged to join the association of the Past Pupils, who have the motto, given by Don Bosco himself, Know, love, help one another and keep united.